Skip to main content

Business as a calling - How Catchoftheday and tinyme fulfill their call.



 Paul Greenberg is an inspiring and committed individual. He is stimulating the retail industry in Australia is such a strong direction, it would deserve him a trophy.
For example, rounding up a crew of fifty people from various industries and backgrounds on a bus tour was a great achievement. I was part of the crew in Melborune and I literally enjoyed the opportunity to see how StarTrack, Gabby Leibovich and Mike Wilson are running their businesses. I must admit that I was moved by seeing how ideas - often simple ones - translated into reality become source of prosperity, self-fulfillment, and common good.

This brings me at once to the very point I'd like to make. I am persuaded that each person is involved in a life-task of human flourishing to realize in community with others. I have drawn this idea from Aristotle and the Christian tradition, more specifically from St. Thomas Aquinas. Regardless, I firmly believe that every man has a sense of calling that can come from a higher authority (God) or an inner drive for self-fulfillment. For instance, It was obvious to me after talking with Gabby, that he has an sense of self-fulfillment that transcends his own personal motives. The result? a great company that resembles a community, great profits, great satisfaction for everybody.
Similarly, what Mike and his partners have realized at "tinyme" is a motivated group of people committed to delivering great experience for family and for kids. The ambiance is less youngish and you won't find the sort of camaraderie (and untidiness :-)) characteristic of Catchoftheday, though.
Nevertheless, this tells me a very fundamental truth. Businesses reflect the ideas and actions of their founders. Every entrepreneur has a unique call which requires talent to do the job, and is accompanied by the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, and renewed energies that its performance gives to the called person.
Chapeau!

Comments